Sunday, May 25, 2008

Look Ma, I'm in the Paper

So, there was some controversy at my high school this past week. Apparently a parent found a book (a choice of multiples, mind you) offensive and demanded it removed from the curriculum. I called shenanigans and wrote to the newspaper about it. It was printed in the Opinion section of the May 25 edition of the Post Standard. Here it is:

To the Editor:

In response to the article about "A Girls Life Online" being used n Baldwinsville schools, I commend Mr. Crobar for building a relationship with his daughter that allows her to feel comfortable askign questions, and where he is involved enough in her life to read one of her school books. The world needs more parents like him.

However, I take issue with how he handled the situation. English teachers are very sensitive to censorship and banning books. As a future English teacher, I know that Ms. Casler would have vigorously defended the book. However, English teachers are also sensitive to the delicate nature of questionable material, and I am sure Ms. Casler would have allowed his daughter to choose a different book, ahd she been approached first.

I am pleased that the school district stood behind Ms. Casler. One only has to look at a banned books list to see how many pieces of classic literature have been banned due to objectionable content.

I am sorry that he found a book warning of a very serious and real issue to today's teens objectionable. But his right to decide what is inappropriate ends with his daughter.

Mike Edinger
Baldwinsville
There is very little in this world that gets me more riled up than issues of censorship. It's so bad that I can hardly articulate the sheer rage I feel when I witness it happening. I'm amazed that I was able to write that letter to begin with, let alone do so without a massive amount of F-bombs and calling people all sorts of names. That's a good idea for a future project- a manifesto of my opinions of censorship. Until then, I leave you with this: if you find something offensive, don't read it. But don't tell me that I can't.

No comments: