Sunday, August 2, 2009

Why I Love Fighting

It's not much, but it's the first thing even close to creative that I've written in months, so I figured I'd post it. I'm sure I'll expand it eventually.

I love being able to say, “I’ve done this,” especially when so many look at it and go, “Wow, I wish I could do that.” I’ve yet to experience a rush like stepping into a cage in front of 1200 people. When you’re fighting, you block a lot out, but you can still hear the crowd scream when you nail a takedown or throw. You can still hear them go, “Oooh!” and wince when you land a solid leg kick or a punch. And when you finish a fight, and the tunnel vision goes away, you can definitely hear the crowd going nuts then. But you can still pick out the voices of your coaches and teammates; the ones who trained with you, sweated with you, and most importantly, suffered with you in practice. And win or lose, you shake the other guy’s hand, because he’s done the same thing you have, and you respect him for it. And as you exit the cage and head back to the locker room, there are fans lined up along the corridor, with their hands out, and you high five them knowing that for three, or six, or nine minutes, you entertained them, and they appreciate it.

No comments: